Hello and welcome back!
In my most recent Newsletter, I happily reported on how amazing our weather has been. And then BAM! Rain, stormy winds, 15 degree temperature drop.
To go straight to the recipe for Creamy Lemon Chicken and Potatoes in Cast Iron, click here.
Although I’d much rather be back in 70 degrees with low humidity, this sudden weather change gave me an opportunity to test this creamy lemon chicken and potatoes in two different seasons. And I liked it on a cold day as much as I liked it on a warm one. The creamy sauce makes it fully qualified for comfort-food status but lemon gives it a fresh, zesty flavor. That’s a win-win for me!
I originally intended to make it a “citrus” chicken using an orange and a lime, but their flavors didn’t hold up as much next to that of the lemon. But it did make a really tasty marinade for beef which is on my list to test and share one day.
If you are interested in more chicken recipes, I have a recipe (the very first one I ever shared!) for the best chicken breast you will ever eat. It really is amazing. I had simplified it for this recipe, but you can get the whole recipe here: Simple Roasted Chicken.
Cast iron skillet I use is from Lodge: 13.25 inch Cast Iron Skillet.
Creamy Lemon Chicken and Potatoes in Cast Iron Skillet
- Large cast iron skillet (12 or 13.25 inch)
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 1 Tb butter
- 12 oz baby potatoes, rinsed*
- 1 Tb olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
Creamy Lemon Sauce
- 3/4 C heavy cream
- 1/2 lemon, cut in slices and then halved or halved and quartered**
- 1 C finely grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- freshly ground black pepper
- chopped parsley (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 425 F.
- Dry chicken with paper towel.
- Season on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Melt the butter over medim high heat in a large cast iron skillet.
- When butter is hot, add chicken breasts and sear 4 minutes per side.
- While chicken is cooking, cut potatoes in half (or quarters, if large) and toss in a large bowl with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Place potatoes around chicken cut side down and transfer the skillet in the preheated oven.
- Cook for 20 minutes or until chicken has reached 170 F and potatoes are soft when pierced with the knife.
- Transfer the chicken and potatoes to a platter.
- Preheat the skillet for a minute over medium heat (it will still be very hot).
- Add heavy cream and scape off any stuck pieces.
- Add Parmigiano Reggiano, stir, and taste for salt. Adjust the seasoning as needed.
- Add lemon slices, stir, and cook over medium heat for about 3 minutes as the sauce thickens. Taste for seasoning.
- Pour the sauce over chicken and potatoes on a platter or place the chicken and potatoes back in the skillet and mix with the sauce.
- Top with freshly ground black pepper and chopped parsley, if desired.
- Serve and enjoy!