Well HELLO there! I often start by saying ”welcome back”, but this time I feel like I am the one being welcomed back. It has been a LONG while! Despite my best intentions, life happened and this winter was nothing I had hoped it would be. But – as it often happens – out of something bad came something good. Specifically – this soup! 🙂 I named it Super Soup (or, ”Souper”, if you will) for its fantastic combination of some of the best parts of other soups. It has a base similar to Borscht, it has sausage and shrimp like gumbo and it’s got chicken stock which is just the greatest thing ever for those ”under the weather” days. And it has potatoes, which is probably the best part of any soup or dish. Very Russian thing to say.
I got into the habit of making this soup in simply huge quantities and freezing it. It keeps well, freezes well, thaws well. It’s a super soup in every way! Generally speaking, I enjoy cooking too much to cook ahead. However, if I learned anything from how unpredictable this season has been, is that I can use some back up. And not just back up – delicious, homemade back up. A homemade meal is a remedy in itself to so many of life’s grievances.
Granted, it’s not a last minute dish. But you can easily spread the prep-work over a day or two. The recipe card below assumes you have the chicken, sausage, and shrimp cooked beforehand. But if you need more information, I list the way I do it in the Recipe Notes below.
- 1 lb chicken breast*
- 1 lb smoked sausage**
- 1 lb shrimp***
- 2 Tb ghee (or 1 Tb butter + 1 Tb olive oil)
- 5 cloves garlic rinsed, peeled, pressed
- 1 large onion rinsed, peeled, cut
- 3 medium carrots rinsed, peeled, cut in 1/4 inch squares
- 4 large potatoes rinsed, peeled, cut in 1/3-1/2 inch squares
- 2 quarts chicken stock
- 1 Tb fine sea salt
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- Preheat ghee over medium heat in a large pot.
- When hot, add onion and cook for about 10 minutes or until the edges turn golden brown.
- Add carrots and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add garlic, stir, and cook for 1-2 minutes until aromatic.
- Add chicken stock, chicken, sausage, shrimp, potatoes, and seasoning.
- Stir well, cover with lid, and bring to boil.
- Turn heat to medium low and cook until potatoes are easily pierced with knife.
- Let sit covered for about 30 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!