As I mentioned in one of my recent posts, I was very happy with the bread from Nigella Lawson’s cookbook. I used it to make this smoked salmon toast served with dill cream cheese. I also added a few slices of fresh cucumber for a refreshing crunch. If I had to choose one toast to eat for the rest of my life, it would be this one. I do love dill for its sweet, fresh flavor and it just tastes and smells like summer to me. All together it tastes so right.
To go straight to the recipe for Smoked Salmon and Dill Cream Cheese Toast, click here.
You can of course use whatever bread you like best. I am in the mood for baking and Nigella’s bread recipe is now my go-to. As such, I am getting out my flour and baking it from scratch. There isn’t a wrong choice of bread for this toast (except, maybe, cinnamon raisin bread).
To me, the wonderful “it” moment is created by dill cream cheese. It is such an easy upgrade.
- You need to toast the bread to make it dryer and sturdier. I simply melt some butter and/or olive oil in a stainless steel pan and cook it for a few minutes on each side. Yes, it’s an extra dish to clean but a toaster is a whole extra appliance!
- Most smoked salmon that I’ve seen comes pre-sliced in 4 oz packages. I don’t buy it often so it’s in a “treat” category. Naturally, you have the complete control of your toast and its toppings – do what tastes right! 🙂
- Most cream cheese recipes have you take it out of the fridge ahead of time, so it can come to room temperature. Since we’re using a small amount of it for this recipe, it works just as fine straight from the fridge.
Smoked Salmon and Dill Cream Cheese Toast
- 1 slice bread, toasted
- 2 oz smoked salmon
- 6 slices cucumber
Dill Cream Cheese
- 4 Tb cream cheese
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 Tb chopped dill
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
Dill Cream Cheese
- Mix all the ingredients in a small bowl with a small silicone spatula or a fork.
- Spread on a toasted bread.
- Top with cucumber and smoked salmon.
- Enjoy! 🙂