I don’t have an exciting story for these little guys. I’ve always passed by them at the store and thought “they’re so cute. I need to do something with them one day”. One of those days I went on with my grocery shopping and I saw a jar of pimento peppers further down and I immediately knew what to do with them! I have always loved pimento cheese – who’s ever thought of mixing cheese with these particular peppers? Whoever did – thank you.
We have a chain of sandwich shops in Virginia called “Taste Unlimited” and I’ve always loved their “Sassy Pimento Cheese”. However, when I tried searching for a recipe, I couldn’t find one that would be satisfactorily easy. I ended up trying to make it with just two ingredients (jarred pimentos and cheddar cheese) and I didn’t feel the need to add anything else to it, honestly. When it comes to food – I am purist and I will often find myself scratching things off of recipes until it has only what it truly needs. Well, pimento cheese literally only need pimentos and cheese. If you like salty food, you may find yourself adding more, or adding freshly ground black pepper. You can also step it up by adding a clove or two of garlic. Naturally, don’t eat it before a date or a job interview in that case.
I really like leaving the green stem on them because it serves as a little holder when taking a bite – if you serve this as an appetizer on a platter, simply add a little container next to it for the ends to be discarded.
Pimento Cheese Stuffed Mini Peppers
- Food Processor
- 4 oz pimento peppers in a jar Don’t drain. Liquid will be used along with the peppers.
- 4 oz sharp Cheddar, roughly grated
- 4 snacking mini peppers
- 1 garlic clove
- salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper
- mayonnaise (if needed)
- Halve the pepper. I like to keep the stem on for holding. If you do that, start by halving them at a stem. Gently separate with a knife and cut the rest of the pepper in half. Clean inside, repeat with the rest of the peppers.
- Add the cheese and peppers – including the liquid in the jar! – to the food processor and process until smooth. Add any desired optional ingredients.
- Scoop a little on each of the halved peppers. Serve and enjoy!