My husband and I love Brussels sprouts, and whenever I ask him if he has a preference for a side dish, chances are – he will ask for the Brussels sprouts. I share our story with them here, in my original recipe. There I also share how to make them perfectly roasted. This recipe is for an updated version that has juicy thick-cut bacon bits and lots of whole roasted cloves of garlic.
There are a lot of strong flavors here! In some of my recipes, I try and offer substitutions as possible, but in this case – try and stick to the recipe.
To go straight to the recipe for Oven Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Garlic, click here.
My favorite protein to serve with these Brussels sprouts is chicken, but it is honestly hard to go wrong with others. They can elevate milder dishes and stand up to stronger ones. And, if you end up with leftovers – crack an egg into it and bake for a delicious breakfast hash.
Notes about the recipe
- Brussels sprouts. Brussels sprouts are sold by weight, on a stalk, or bagged and packaged. They are easy to prepare, and like any other cabbage, you need to remove the outer leaves that look dark or dirty, and rinse well. If you can’t get enough of these tiny cabbages, I have a recipe for a salad made with them here.
- Garlic. It may seem like a large amount of garlic, but garlic becomes so much more delicious when it’s roasted. You can add double of what I wrote in the recipe and you will still love it.
- Bacon. I have mentioned before my love for Peter Luger bacon because it is something out of this world juicy and delicious. If you have the opportunity – treat yourself and try it. We are lucky to have it in our local Wegman’s so be sure to check your local gourmet stores.
What is your go-to side dish? Let me know in the comment section!
If you have any questions or feedback on this or any other of my recipes, you can find me on Instagram (@babushkacooking), Facebook (Babushka Cooking), or e-mail me at email@example.com.
From Kitchen, with Love –
Oven Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Garlic
- 16 Brussels sprouts, rinsed, outer leaves removed about 8 oz
- 5 thick cut bacon strips, cooked and chopped 8-12 oz (weight uncooked)
- 8 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 1 Tb olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- freshly ground black pepper
Optional – Toppings
- sharp Cheddar or blue cheese crumbles
- Preheat the oven to 425 F.
- Cut the Brussels sprouts in halves or quarters so that they are roughly the same size. Don’t discard any leaves that fall off during the process – they crisp up in the oven and add a wonderful texture and flavor.
- Pick a large pan – preferably cast iron or baking sheet – that WON’T crowd the vegetables. Be sure to leave plenty of room, otherwise the vegetables exude moisture and they end up steaming instead of browning.
- Add the Brussels sprouts, garlic, and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt, and mix well. Sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper, and place in the oven uncovered, for 25 minutes.
- 5 minutes before the Brussels sprouts are done, briefly take the pan out of the oven, add bacon, and toss well. Return to the oven for the remaining 5 minutes.
- If using, top with your choice of cheese and toss in the pan, or drizzle with honey. Divide between the plates and serve immideately.