Italian Sausage is one of the very few things I always have on hand. I could sing praises to it all day, every day, because it truly deserves it. It is relatively inexpensive, especially when you evaluate what you get. It’s full of healthy fats, it’s delicious and perfectly seasoned, and it freezes – and thaws – very well. My Award-winning chili is award winning because I make it with the Italian Sausage, instead of ground beef. Nothing is wrong with ground beef – in fact, I get a lot of use of it in recipes like this. But sometimes, using Italian Sausage instead – where possible – takes a dish to a whole new level.
To go straight to the recipe for Italian Sausage with Peppers, click here.
In fact, I love any kind of seasoned sausage you can buy. You don’t have to worry about buying obscure spices and you can make an easy dinner with authentic flavor. Click here for my other recipe that uses Chorizo sausage, also sold by pieces.
Notes about the recipe
Both Italian Sausage and peppers are very easy to cook. I don’t like green bell pepper because it is much more bitter than its riper counterparts. Even with sweeter yellow, orange, and red I still find I need to add a little bit of sugar.
I also prefer not cooking the peppers until they are very soft. When you are done cooking it according to the recipe, taste one piece of the pepper and cook longer, if you like it softer.
I state in the recipe that you should stir spinach in off heat, and at the very last moment, right before serving. That way, it doesn’t cook down as much and become mushy.
The pan I used to cook this can be found here. I was able to find it at Marshalls for 1/3 of the price, so if you are on the hunt for the new cookware – give T.J. Maxx stores a try.
If you have any questions or feedback on this or any other of my recipes, you can find me on Instagram (@babushkacooking), Facebook (Babushka Cooking), or e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org
From Kitchen, with Love –
Italian Sausage with Peppers
- 4 mild Italian sausage links, casings removed
- 3 bell peppers, rinsed, cleaned, and cut in 1/4 by 2 inch strips
- 1/2 large sweet onion, peeled, rinsed, and cut in strips
- 2 oz fresh spinach, stems removed about 2 cups packed or 4 cups loosely packed
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and pressed or finely minced
- 2 Tb olive oil, or as needed
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 Tb tomato sauce
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a pan large enough to fit all of the vegetables and sausage.
- Add the sausage. You can squeeze it out of the casings directly onto the pan, or do this in advance in a clean bowl.
- Break down bigger pieces with a spatula and cook for about 15 minutes, or until no longer pink inside.
- When finished, transfer to a paper towel lined plate and set aside.
- Add more olive oil, if needed, and add onions.
- Toss and cook for a few minutes.
- Add garlic and cook until aromatic.
- Add bell peppers and sprinkle with sugar and salt. Mix well.
- Cook, stirring occasionally for about 15 minutes, or until peppers are softened.
- Add cooked Italian sausage, tomato sauce, and mix well. Cook for about 5 more miniutes over medium low heat.
- Off heat, stir in spinach. Divide between the plates and sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper.