I originally shared this recipe in May of 2019. When I revisited it recently, I decided to change it up a little bit. It is still the same delicious carrot soup, with the same delicious crispy prosciutto. I only made a minor change in the prep work stage that allows for faster cooking.
The weather here in Virginia took a sudden dip and I am loving it. This has been such a tumultuous year, that fall, with all its coziness, is a much welcomed season!
My husband used to joke that I might be a fake Russian, because I get cold a lot. Here is a big secret – Russians get cold a lot more than Americans do! Crazy, right? But the truth is, Russians keep their houses very warm, because of very cold winters. Here, in the U.S., it is common to see people in flip flops year round. In Russia? Outside of the warm summer months, very unlikely.
If, like me, a few degrees drop makes you want to cook and eat soups and knit and wear sweaters, read on for a recipe for comforting, cozy, delicious, healthy soup.
To go straight to the recipe for Carrot Soup with Crispy Prosciutto, click here.
Can’t get enough soup? Click here to see my other soup recipes!
Notes about the recipe
You will need a blender for this soup. I have this immersion blender and I love it. I enjoy making (and eating) pureed soups so it comes in very handy. It’s easy to use and easy to clean. If you don’t have one, you can also use a regular blender or food processor.
You can use chicken stock like I did or vegetable stock.
Prosciutto is also an optional topping – you can substitute it with bacon, goat cheese or blue cheese crumbles, croutons or simply fresh greens. Carrot tops are edible, and you can even make pesto with them to drizzle on top.
I would LOVE to hear from you! Do you feel ready for all things fall or do you hold on to the last few days of summer warmth? Let me know in the comment section. If you have any questions or feedback on this or any other of my recipes, you can find me on Instagram (@babushkacooking), Facebook (Babushka Cooking), or e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org
From Kitchen, with Love –
Carrot Soup with Crispy Prosciutto Topping
- 1/2 lg onion, chopped
- 1.5 tsp butter
- 1 Tb olive oil
- 1.5 lb carrots, washed, peeled, and sliced into thin disks (about 6 large carrots)
- 1/4 oz fresh ginger (about 1 inch piece), peeled and grated
- lemon peel from about 1/4 lemon, cut in small strips
- 4 C chicken stock
- 1 C half & half
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/8-1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 4 slices prosciutto, cut width wise into 1/2 inch strips
- Preheat the olive oil and butter in a pot large enough to fit everything over medium low to medium heat.
- Add the onions and cook until translucent and slightly browned, stirring occasionally. This should take about 15 minutes.
- Add the carrots and cook, stirring often. The goal is to soften them, so don’t rush this step.
- Add salt, ginger, and lemon peel. Cook for a few more minutes, until you can sense the aroma of lemon and ginger.
- When the carrots are soft and pierced easily with a fork or a knife, add chicken stock and bring to boil. Let cook, partially, for 3-5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool for a few minutes.
- While the soup is cooling , place prosciutto strips onto an oven safe dish under the broiler on low setting for a couple of minutes. It will crisp and if you like – you can “crinkle” them slightly to make them look curled up.
- Using an immersion blender, process soup until smooth.
- Stir in the heavy cream, salt, and pepper.
- Taste and correct the seasoning, if needed. Serve topped with crispy prosciutto and more black pepper.